Life is full of peaks and valleys

One second - floating in the sky

The next second - hit rock bottom

Happiness - What does it mean?


Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Self-identity - Feel at ease with yourself

As we grow up, I do not know if anyone of you realise this, when we explore the things around us, we would often explore ourselves in the process as well even at the young age of 5.
When we look around, suddenly we realise - hey, we are different from most of our peers and people around us. They do not seem to do this. So is what we are doing RIGHT or WRONG? By default, we will try to do the things that are RIGHT. And by meaning right, it means conform to what everyone is doing due to 1 theory - if what everyone is doing it, it means they are right, otherwise, they will not do it.
But being RIGHT does not means being yourself. Being right applies to major issues like drugs, trafficking, smoking, theft, murder.
Being yourself is different. What is the most important thing that you value yourself as a person. It does not matter if you are being different. It means being yourself, being confident and at ease with yourself. Do not look at others for conformity. Do not look at others for opinions when it is your turn to make the decision. It must be the decision that you are most comfortable and most congruent to your innermost self.
Accept that you are being who you are. Accept how you look in the mirror. Accept how your mind tells you this is how you should dress. Accept how you think about yourself.
It is you who needs to navigate through the different situations and scenarios, not others, not experts and not your parents. They might be there to provide guidance but you must make the decision - follow, reject or merge ideas?
I feel much better when I saw Johnny Depp's interview on himself.


‘Love, art or music can be the cure – never give up

JOHNNY DEPP is at the top of his game these days - but life hasn't always been so easy.

New film Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hits UK cinemas on May 18 and will no doubt boost his reputation as one of the world's top box office draws.

Here the 47-year-old, who lives in France with partner Vanessa Paradis, 38, and children Lily-Rose, 11, and Jack, nine, talks to GARTH PEARCE about what he wishes he'd known at the age of 18.

"When I was growing up I felt like a complete freak. I wish I had known that there were a lot of people out there like me, feeling the same way.
"I even felt weird at five. At the age of 12, I felt it was me against the world.
"I locked myself in my bedroom and played my guitar. It seemed as if I was in there for two or three years!
"It took years for me to feel comfortable with myself. I do not have to pretend any more about who I am and do not have to portray any image which is not myself.
"I wish I could have come to terms with who I was much earlier in my life, but I am sure a lot of people would say the same thing. I was able to play characters who were considered freaks to outsiders. But, to me, they were always real people. They felt love, anger and loneliness.
"I identified with these parts and was attracted by the emotions. I played Edward Scissorhands and Gilbert Grape in my twenties. What's Eating Gilbert Grape was a difficult time for me.
"The content of the film was emotional and I would not want to see it again. I might dive back in to that feeling. I was feeling very dark making it, with a lot of stuff going on in my head.
Rising star ... Johnny Depp 25 years ago
Rising star ... Johnny Depp 25 years ago
Rex
"The character (caring for a brother with development disability and having an obese mother who refuses to leave the house) hit me a little too hard.
"It was a rough time in my life and I was, for a while, humour impaired. I don't know whether it was a subconscious thing - because my character was such a bland, repressed guy - or whether it was just that time in my life.
"I get into my characters pretty deeply, but there is a limit. There are some actors who ask that you call them by their character name during filming.
"I would love to see them go to the snack bar in between scenes and pick up a Milky Way as King Tut or watch Cleopatra eating pretzel sticks.
"I just don't buy into that kind of stuff. Nobody becomes a character and stays that way. I could never rate myself that much as an actor. When I have to watch myself in a movie I get real nervous and kind of ill. I always watch and think of the things ISHOULD have done.
"But I don't get depressed about it. On suicide, the only thing I can say is that if things are so bad why die? Why not give it another day? Love, art or music can be the cure. Refuse to give up.
"When Kurt Cobain committed suicide I remember thinking how close I felt to his work and understood his music and words very well. But if he hated what he was that much, why not just give it up and escape and go somewhere? Grow flowers, catch fish, do something else. There are very negative attitudes shown by some people. We live in a very cynical society.
"Even little kids are cynical and we definitely need a refresher course in love, friendship and living.
"We need to rethink how to live. I wish I could have known at 18 that I would one day live in France and meet the love of my life.
"I met Vanessa in a hotel in Paris. It was instant love, across a crowded room. I became entranced by her back and neck.
"Then she turned her face and it was beautiful. She came across the room and asked: 'Do you remember me?' I had met her years before, apparently.
"But this time I was love-struck. There was no doubt in my mind that she was The One. She would change my life.
"Having kids also changed my life for the better. Being with my family makes me happy - and shows in my face. I feel young and happy.


"Being a dad made me realise what the important things are in life. It is certainly not fame or celebrity.
"There is so much fear, from the fear of losing jobs to the fear of losing loved ones. We forget about the moment - right now, what is happening.
"We dwell on the past and worry about the future. We exist in life and forget to live.
"I wish I knew that at 18 - I could have started living my life much earlier."

No comments: