Life is full of peaks and valleys

One second - floating in the sky

The next second - hit rock bottom

Happiness - What does it mean?


Saturday, April 09, 2011

Myths of Reading

I remember when I was young, I was very excited when my mother brought me to the library. At that point in time, we were allowed to borrow 4 books.
I borrowed 4 different books and went home happily.
When I was reading, my mother would always say "read carefully and slowly so that no details are missed out and you can remember it. Look and examine how grammar is being used. Look out for the linguistic applications."
After reading each book, I was supposed to give a verbal review on the book I have read. However, I did not capture all the details upon questioning by my mother and I was forced to copy the book just to get the information correct.

This way of collecting information though tedious, was very useful for children. They do not know how the language is used. However as the children gets older, this requirement is no longer useful especially when they are in Upper Secondary level. They already know how the language is used so it is time more for application of the language. Hence, a more practical skill to learn is how to read within a short period of time?

But before that, it is important to learn about the delusions that accompany us when we were learning the linguistics. We need to detox these delusions and change them to positive ones before going on to read fast.

The DELUSIONS are:


  1. Don't Subvocalise
  2. Fingerpointing slows reading speed.
  3. Read SLOW and CAREFULLY to understand the contents.
  4. Always read from the start to the end.
  5. Go back and forth during reading to understand.
  6. Reading is LEFT brain activity.
  7. Each word is read separately.
  8. Halfway through the reading, check a difficult word at once if one dont know the word.
  9. Comprehension level drop as speed of reading increase.
  10. Unnatural to read fast.
  11. No sign of appreciation if speed of reading is fast.
  12. Motivation is not a factor in reading speed.
  13. A guide obstructs the reading speed.
  14. It is unneccessary to read the eyes.
  15. Comprehension level is 100%.
  16. Peripheral vision is only the width of page.
  17. Reading area is only within what you focus on.
  18. No markings on the book when reading.
  19. No relationship between reading and beliefs
  20. The brain has no role in reading.
  21. If it is in print, then it is true
  22. Sit still until everything is read.

No comments: